QNX Neutrino RTOS
The QNX® Neutrino® RTOS is a full-featured and robust OS that scales down to meet the constrained resource requirements of realtime embedded systems. Its true microkernel design and its modular architecture enable customers to create highly optimized and reliable systems with low total cost of ownership. It offers the embedded industries only field-proven, clean strategy for migrating from single-core to multi-core processing.
True microkernel OS
The QNX Neutrino RTOS (realtime operating system) is so reliable because it is a true microkernel operating system.
Under QNX Neutrino, every driver, protocol stack, filesystem and application runs in the safety of memory-protected user space, outside the kernel. Virtually any component can fail — and be automatically restarted — without affecting other components or the kernel. No other commercial RTOS offers this degree of protection.
The QNX Neutrino RTOS has a field-proven strategy for migrating from single-processor to multi-processor embedded environments. Its unique bound multi-processing (BMP) technology takes the risk out of migration by enabling developers to decide exactly where every process and thread will run.
The QNX® Neutrino® RTOS offers great economic and technical advantages thanks to its ability to extract extremely fast, predictable response times from inexpensive embedded hardware.
Low risk, high reliability
Since 1980, manufacturers have relied on QNX RTOS technology to power their mission-critical applications — everything from medical instruments and Internet routers to telematics devices, 911 call centers, process control applications, and air traffic control systems.
Low BOM cost
The QNX Neutrino RTOS is the perfect OS for reducing the per-unit costs of embedded hardware. It can offer the best possible performance, even on inexpensive hardware
The QNX Neutrino RTOS provides a level of fault containment and recovery offered by no other commercial RTOS.
Its microkernel architecture has every driver, protocol stack, filesystem and application run outside the kernel, in the safety of memory-protected user space. Virtually any component can fail and be automatically restarted without affecting other components or the kernel.
Scale large or small
The same RTOS, tools, APIs, and source code are used for developing and implementing systems to meet all manner of requirements for single-processor and multi-processor systems, large and small.
Guaranteed system resources
QNX adaptive partitioning technololgy can guarantee system resources for all applications as needed. Under normal operating conditions it allows applications to use all available CPU cycles, but during overload conditions, it enforces hard resource guarantees, ensuring that all applications receive their budgeted share of resources.
Extensive board support
The QNX Neutrino RTOS supports a broad range of x86, PowerPC, ARM, MIPS and SH-4 platforms. The resource manager framework, which, unlike conventional drivers, runs in memory-protected user space, simplifies driver development for custom hardware.
Efficient product development
The QNX Neutrino RTOS enables rapid and efficient product development in a number of ways:
- The microkernel architecture facilitates bug identification and resolution, and enables safe and rapid component upgrades without costly downtimes or system outages
- Just one OS and one set of binaries can target single-processor devices, SMP systems, or processor clusters
- Open-source UNIX, Linux, and other code can be ported with a simple recompile because QNX Neutrino is engineered to the POSIX standard (1003.1-2001 POSIX.1)
- Standard POSIX APIs not only let developers easily reuse application code but also provide a familiar development environment
- Development teams can reuse code and reduce their verification efforts thanks to field-tested binaries — drivers, applications, custom OS services, etc, which can be implemented across entire product lines
- Out-of-the-box support for a wide range of networking protocols and flash filesystems, and a built-in high availability solution reduce overall development work
The QNX® Neutrino® RTOS Safe Kernel has been certified by SIRA a world leader in IEC 61508 functional safety certification services, and the United Kingdom's leading notified body for Ex product certification (ATEX and IECEx). It is accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) to carry out its certification activities in accordance with the CASS scheme (Conformity Assessment of Safety-related Systems).
Know more about QNX Neutrino RTOS »